Paola has a silent genius to her teaching. In her class I was challenged emotionally, physically, and asked to understand a kind of focus that I never thought possible. Her ability to tackle and bring the philosophy behind character and mask work down to earth still has me scratching my head but at the same time asking for more. She is incredibly patient and has a knack for reading each individual student for who they are now, in the moment, with the only concern of helping students understand the exercises of the day. I would wholly support having her as a full time professor at The Theatre School and believe it would be a great disservice to the school if they did not seriously consider hiring her.
Mitchell Duran The Theatre School DePaul University BFA 4 Acting
My progression as an artist was elevated to a plain of truth and efficiency after being a student of Paola's. Her tenacious kind personality and immense knowledge on the work. Made for an open space that encourages playful exploration, and that was committed to honestly living in the moment. I learned effective methods on integrating my body and self into a character I would highly recommend Her as an instructor.
Nicholas Harper (Nick) BFA 4 Actor TTS, DePaul University
Paola has been the most insightful, direct, passionate, and skilled professor I've had thus far at DePaul. The mask work was a huge challenge, and although Paola never lowered the bar, she supported us as mature adults and not just students. She expected we maintain integrity and respect in everything we did; with each other, ourselves, and the masks.
I learned so much about my fears, and all the frustrations that came with them. Paola told us every day that the more we accepted these frustrations the more we would grow. I loved her sense of play in the work, and that "being serious" was only going to hold us back. The serious part was the skills we were learning, which have given me SUCH confidence in all other realms of my studies at TTS.
She not only has an exiting and vibrant energy, she's so skilled at what she does and how she teaches the work. I don't think there's a student out there who would disagree with me!
Simone Olsen-Varela The Theatre School DePaul University BFA 4 Acting
Paola is not only dedicated in her personal commitment to her work but is equally committed to her students and their own personal connection to it. She approaches each person differently, with care, and engages you in the work in a way that few educators can.
Transforming the classroom into a playground of creativity and childlike engagement with everyones imagination working overdrive, she's nothing short of magical.
Regardless of interest in what she does before you get in the room with her she will challenge and inspire you.
I thank her deeply for her time with me & would take any opportunity to work with her again.
Joseph Ettinger Had Paola in 2009 as a 3rd year Actor at TTS
Paola has one of the most precise eyes for what works in theatre. Beyond that, she has the incredible ability to articulate it to the actor in a way that makes sense!
I've had the privilege to work with her both in the classroom (masks) and one-on-one, preparing for a role. Both experiences changed the way I approached the work. I became more physically aware and tuned into how my body is helping to tell this greater story.
I will absolutely work with her again. I consider our time together is invaluable.
Cheers to you, Paola.
Colin Sphar BFA Acting | The Theatre School at DePaul University Company Member | The Blind Owl | Two Lights Theatre Company
Paola has a silent genius to her teaching. In her class I was challenged emotionally, physically, and asked to understand a kind of focus that I never thought possible. Her ability to tackle and bring the philosophy behind character and mask work down to earth still has me scratching my head but at the same time asking for more. She is incredibly patient and has a knack for reading each individual student for who they are now, in the moment, with the only concern of helping students understand the exercises of the day. I would wholly support having her as a full time professor at The Theatre School and believe it would be a great disservice to the school if they did not seriously consider hiring her.
ReplyDeleteMitchell Duran
The Theatre School
DePaul University
BFA 4 Acting
My progression as an artist was elevated to a plain of truth and efficiency after being a student of Paola's. Her tenacious kind personality and immense knowledge on the work. Made for an open space that encourages playful exploration, and that was committed to honestly living in the moment. I learned effective methods on integrating my body and self into a character I would highly recommend Her as an instructor.
ReplyDeleteNicholas Harper (Nick)
BFA 4 Actor
TTS, DePaul University
Paola has been the most insightful, direct, passionate, and skilled professor I've had thus far at DePaul. The mask work was a huge challenge, and although Paola never lowered the bar, she supported us as mature adults and not just students. She expected we maintain integrity and respect in everything we did; with each other, ourselves, and the masks.
ReplyDeleteI learned so much about my fears, and all the frustrations that came with them. Paola told us every day that the more we accepted these frustrations the more we would grow. I loved her sense of play in the work, and that "being serious" was only going to hold us back. The serious part was the skills we were learning, which have given me SUCH confidence in all other realms of my studies at TTS.
She not only has an exiting and vibrant energy, she's so skilled at what she does and how she teaches the work. I don't think there's a student out there who would disagree with me!
Simone Olsen-Varela
The Theatre School
DePaul University
BFA 4 Acting
Paola is not only dedicated in her personal commitment to her work but is equally committed to her students and their own personal connection to it. She approaches each person differently, with care, and engages you in the work in a way that few educators can.
ReplyDeleteTransforming the classroom into a playground of creativity and childlike engagement with everyones imagination working overdrive, she's nothing short of magical.
Regardless of interest in what she does before you get in the room with her she will challenge and inspire you.
I thank her deeply for her time with me & would take any opportunity to work with her again.
Joseph Ettinger
Had Paola in 2009 as a 3rd year Actor at TTS
Paola has one of the most precise eyes for what works in theatre. Beyond that, she has the incredible ability to articulate it to the actor in a way that makes sense!
ReplyDeleteI've had the privilege to work with her both in the classroom (masks) and one-on-one, preparing for a role. Both experiences changed the way I approached the work. I became more physically aware and tuned into how my body is helping to tell this greater story.
I will absolutely work with her again. I consider our time together is invaluable.
Cheers to you, Paola.
Colin Sphar
BFA Acting | The Theatre School at DePaul University
Company Member | The Blind Owl | Two Lights Theatre Company